Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What I look for in shorting candidates

Yngvai asked in the comments what patterns I'm looking for in my watchlists. I thought I would post it here.

1. long red candles - this sounds obvious, but it's not the same as high day range exactly. Some stocks have longer red candles than white, which skews their ADR down. I don't know if it's useful to calculate ADR separately for red and white candles, but it is something that I am investigating. (Perhaps another calculator? I already have calculator back log.) If you want to see an example of a chart where the red candles are consistently longer than the white, look at PHH:


2. short top shadows on the red candles - this is something that I am actually working on in calculator form. In short, the lower the top shadow on a red candle, the better probability the short will be on red (since you wouldn't short when the stock is green... I don't consider premarket leader drops in these situations- that is actually another category but one that this calculator will be able to analyze)

3. high probability on the co-relation calculator - this one is self explanatory. If the percentage is very low when the Dow is green, then I won't go into it on those days. Only stocks with good numbers (> 50% are considered when the market is soaring). 

4. place on the chart - if you only screen for stocks that are up 8% on the day/15% in 2 days you can miss many good plays that have dropped but still have more down.  FRPT is a good example of that today from my watchlist. 


5. the propensity of a stock for multiday run ups/downs - this is something that you can get from just reading the charts but I want to make a calculator for it to make my life easier and give me more hard numbers to make an evaluation. If a chart is one day up you have to make a call whether it has the ability to keep going. If you wait only for multiday run ups (like I once concluded) you will miss good opportunities like NCT (that was as beaut). Again, it depends on the stock.


**UPDATE

more here.

3 comments:

James Krieger said...

Thanks!

I like the idea of a multi-day run calculator. That can really help narrow down potential short candidates when you've got a spike in a bad chart

johnnyvento said...

yes that is the idea.. all in good time my son

johnnyvento said...

in the mean time, please keep the Sykes monster at bay... he seems to hate biotechs