Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Using dayrange as support and resistance

This may be be obvious to some people but I have to say that when I figured it out it was something of a revelation. Instead of using fixed price points for support and resistance I use statistical day range. To do this I look at the average day range over the past 5 days (ADR5) as of the previous day and convert that into dollars and cents. The range is then calculated from the open price. Let's take a look at some intraday charts as examples.

Here's ABK from Friday:




ABK opened at 5.70 (I will usually round to the nearest dime) and its ADR5 as of Thursday was about 15%. That gives us about 85 cents to work with. ABK traded sideways in the morning and didn't look interesting. However if you went long in the afternoon at 5.50 on increasing volume like I did then you need to subtract out the .50 that ABK gave up in the down move to 5.20. This means that it only has .35 to give on the upside above 5.70 to 6. So this trade at 5.50 I expected to get .50 at the most. This is different that the red and green terms that are calculated using previous day close. ABK was "green" all day since it gapped up but at the break even point of 5.70 it had used up 9% of its dayrange already
(5.70-5.20=.50/5.70=9%).


Here is another example from last week- WM





During this week WM had an ADR5 of around 10 so a short below 5 on red from the open on Fri August 8 should be watched close around 4.50. By August 12 the price had reset to 4.60 so it had about .40 to give down to 4.20. By looking at this chart you can see that fixed resistance points don't seem to have any meaning. Looking at the daily chart shows no insight as to support and resistance levels.




Of course the stocks don't always adhere to these calculations but the point is that I watch these points close and take reversals around these points very seriously. I'm usually out at the first sign of a reversal. But if the stock keeps going beyond it, all the better!

2 comments:

tputs001 said...

Hey Johnny

I have a question.

"That gives us about 85 cents to work with. ABK traded sideways in the morning and didn't look interesting. However if you went long in the afternoon at 5.50 on increasing volume like I did then you need to subtract out the .50 that ABK gave up in the down move to 5.20. This means that it only has .35 to give on the upside above 5.70 to 6."

-----------------

I understand what you mean when you subtract .50 because of the down side move to 5.20. However, you said that you will have about .35 cent move left from 5.70 to 6. If you got in at 5.50, aren't you suppose to take into account the 5.50 to 5.70 which is .20 cents so really all you have going for you is about .15 cent move from your entry point of 5.50?

Thanks again Johnny. Its just something I don't quite understand.

-TraderT

johnnyvento said...

Hi TraderT

If the day range is 15% which is .85, and the stock moves from 5.70 to 5.20 and back that is a .50 move which means it has only .35 more to move on the upside before it reaches a 15% day range. .35 + 5.70 = 6.05. It doesn't matter where I get into the trade. The day range of the stock is the same regardless of where I trade it from.

Please email me with any questions you have at johnnyvento@gmail.com so you don't think that I am ignoring your comment; sometimes I don't see that new comments are left on the older posts.

take care,
JV