Sunday, August 31, 2008

Using StockFetcher scans intraday

One thing I am experimenting with is using StockFetcher scans intraday to find trading opportunities that would realize themselves too late if they were discovered after market close. I can immediately think of 3 reasons to use SF scans this way:

1-  to look for strong stocks at the open that have pulled back and could become shorting candidates

2-  to look for liquid penny stocks that have made huge (>75%) gains in the morning and could become intraday shorting candidates

3-  to look for stocks going into the closing hour on the high of day to look for potential buys into the close

I have experimented with each of these before but now I will more systematically test each one and post follow ups on the results. One of the challenges with SF intraday screens is that the results are 20 minutes delayed so this may decrease the usefulness somewhat. If I find any of these screens particularly interesting or useful I will post the code that I use. I also welcome you to post in the comments any idea you may have for an intraday screen.

2 comments:

James Krieger said...

I've been using SF scans in the last hour of trading and have found buy-into-the close or short-into-the-close opportunities using it

johnnyvento said...

if a stock is liquid it will show up on the hod list, but I think illiquid stocks can be easily missed but still make big gains, will try to run a few test cases for a future post

Since my methods are basically Muddy's, I try hard to find something new to contribute- that is an impossible task probably- but I like impossible challenges